Local SEO is the process by which you get your website ranked for local searches. Local SEO is becoming increasingly important as it’s instrumental in boosting your ranking on Google Maps and other local search engines, such as Yelp, Yahoo, Bing, and more.
It’s also essential to have a high-quality digital footprint that portrays you in the way you want to be: professional, friendly, and knowledgeable.
If you’re just getting started with local SEO or have been practicing it for a while, this guide is full of tips and strategies for local search optimization, including:
- How local business listings and citations can impact your search rankings
- how geo-targeting works
- resources that will help you discover hidden business data
- ways to earn links from highly authoritative sites in your industry
- tactics to increase traffic from mobile devices
- advice on publishing rich media content (text with images/video) optimized for various platforms
- Proven social outreach ideas – and more!
How does Local SEO Fit into General SEO?
It would help if you did not view Local SEO as an isolated component of your overall organic SEO effort. However, if you’re new to the field, here are some essential things to consider about how local SEO fits in with general online marketing:
Local indexing is limited compared to what Google will crawl and rank based on keyword relevance. Therefore, your content on the website and blog must reflect a purposeful strategy for both long-tail and head terms/phrases.
Optimizing pages or posts may not increase traffic directly; however, an optimized page can drive more relevant visitors to your homepage than one that isn’t optimized or focused toward local search engines (like Google Maps results). Think of this as traffic from warm leads versus cold prospects.
What is a Local SEO Expert?
A Local SEO Expert is a person who can help businesses and organizations get higher rankings in local search engine results. You are likely to ask yourself, ‘how do I become a Local SEO Expert?’
If this is one of your career goals, you should educate yourself on how you can achieve successful outcomes through online optimization strategies that include:
- Optimizing your website by using correct anchor text and keyword placement
- Optimizing each page of the website so that it can rank well for specific keywords
- Creating quality content around topics relevant to the customer base Navigating Google+ Local pages and interacting with other businesses in the industry
At a high level, you will be part of the process to increase rankings for your client’s website and content. You will work with companies to create quality content that is useful for their customers. You may even get them involved in online communities such as Google+ Local pages or online forums. Through developing relationships within these communities, you can help raise rank for your client.
Becoming a Local SEO Expert
Many people don’t know what Local SEO is or how it works. For many years, local businesses have relied on the Yellow Pages and newspaper ads to get new customers. However, with the advent of online marketing, this paradigm has shifted.
Now, with an effective internet marketing strategy, people and searchers can find your business all over the world.
- One way to become a Local SEO expert in your area is to read everything you can about Local SEO and search engine optimization strategies.
- Second, set up a Google Places account and make sure you are in directories like Yelp.
- Thirdly, research keywords in your local area relevant to your industry and set up Google Adwords campaigns for those keywords.
- Fourth, find out which popular websites in your area are most popular and see if you can get them to link back to your website or content.
- Finally, read everything that Google has posted about Local SEO. They’ve made it easy for you by listing all their resources on a Local Search Overview site page.
Getting The Experience
Search engine optimization is an evolving science that will change as quickly as technology evolves. Therefore, it’s essential to keep up with industry trends so that you can stay ahead of the curve when coding content management systems and search engine spiders crawl across your webpage looking for indexing information.
Being an expert is a long journey that requires dedication and persistence. But if this is something you enjoy doing, eventually you’ll arrive at that destination.
Doing the actual work of creating content, setting up campaigns, and updating sites will be challenging at first. But you’ll learn from each step of the process. The more experience you have, the higher your salary will be as a Local SEO Expert.
Your Customers Will Love You!
Finally, we all want our customers to praise us and tell others about their experiences. The more positive reviews you have about your company and the better those reviews are, the more Local SEO experts will call you.
The bottom line is that if you do an excellent job for customers, they will return to buy again and again. I always see it at my own company where customers send their friends or family members because they were satisfied with our services.
Start Small/Empower Your Expertise!
To become successful as a Local SEO expert, educate yourself before making big decisions on behalf of your clients. Buy books, read blogs, and stay updated on what’s new in search engine optimization strategies.
One way I’ve found helpful is to use Google Alerts, which allows me to set up email notifications for specific keywords. Then, whenever one of those words appears online, I get a message with an excerpt from the article posted on Google News or wherever that search term appeared. I’ve found this incredibly helpful in being proactive and reading what others are saying about current trends in Local SEO.
How to Become a Local SEO Expert – The Basics
A local SEO expert does more than just optimizing websites and meta tag descriptions Internet, though. A Local SEO expert is an essential part of every marketer’s life, which you should never miss if you want your business to be successful.
Here are the critical skills that a Local SEO expert must possess:
- A thorough understanding of HTML.
- Have the right tools to manage local business listings.
- Should possess knowledge of Google’s algorithm and how it operates.
- Should be able to write Blog Posts regularly
- Be versed in Digital Marketing techniques and principles.
- Have experience working as an Internet Marketer.
- Be familiar with local minor business issues.
- Have analytical skills and the ability to interpret data.
- Be able to create compelling content for the client’s website.
- Should embrace new technology tools such as Google Places and Facebook.
- Should possess excellent communication skills.
- Be passionate about online marketing and love what you do!